Thursday, February 25, 2010

REVIEW: "First Place 4 Health" by Carole Lewis


TITLE: "First Place 4 Health"
AUTHOR: Carole Lewis
DIETY?: yes
IE?: some
MY RATING: 4****

When I first heard about this book, I was intrigued as I'd read the original "First Place" book several years ago. I was curious to see what --if anything-- Ms. Lewis had changed.

As it turns out, quite a bit has changed! The main focus is still on giving Christ "first place" in one's life (Matthew 6:33). But this new program also focuses on acheiving balance in the four main areas of life: physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual.

Also changed is that they've removed the term "commitments", and instead use the more grace-filled term "invitations". You are "invited" to walk the journey toward living a more balanced, healthy lifestyle.

Like the old "First Place" book, there are many success stories shared throughout the pages, and these are very inspiring.

What I didn't like about this book was the sense that the author just wants more people to buy her program and sign up for the local support groups. She was constantly promoting these groups, and her other books (the Bible studies).

In the original "First Place" book, the whole program was laid out for you so that, even if you couldn't attend a support group, for whatever reason, you could still know how to follow the plan. But, in this newer book, that doesn't happen. She gives you an idea of what you'll find in the support group, and of the kinds of things you can learn there, but she doesn't outline the plan for you. So, I was a bit disappointed in that fact.

Over all, though, I found it to be a really motivational book, and there was a lot of good stuff inside. In fact, some of the new thinking includes things that are very similar to the Intuitive Eating approach (of which I'm terribly fond). For example, on page 174, it says:

"...you'll learn to eat slowly and savor your meals. You'll relearn what hunger really feels like and listen to your internal hunger cues--and stop eating when you are full... Trust your gut -- God made that, too!"


The author encourages you to give this plan a full year -- that way you're not looking for a quick fix (that doesn't exist), and the plan has a chance to work, and you have a chance to be changed from the inside-out. Also encouraged are "baby steps" -- doing as much as you can to start, even if it's not a lot, and continuing to work at it, because eventually you'll get stronger, and will be able to do more. :)

A good book.

Rated: B-

No comments:

Have a Book You Want Reviewed?

Do you have suggestions of books you'd like to see reviewed here?

If so, please contact me here.

I cannot make any promises, as I often rely heavily on my local library for the books I read. If they don't have it, I probably can't read and review it. But, I will do my best!

Thank you!