Wednesday, March 19, 2008

REVIEW: "Overcoming Overeating" by Hirschmann and Munter

Title: "Overcoming Overeating"
Author(s): Jane R. Hirschmann and Carol Munter
Pages: 235
Diety?: no
Promotes IE?: yes
My Rating: 3.5***

This book teaches you how to give up dieting forever, and to relearn how to feed yourself 'on demand'. Basically, it promotes the intuitive eating principles (see Glossary in sidebar).

I liked how the authors stressed that you should be patient and compassionate with yourself while you're learning. But I disliked how they encouraged people to go ahead and eat from "mouth hunger" (not truly hungry, just emotional). They state that eventually you'll not do this any more... your emotional reaction to food will die down when you realize that the food
will always be there, and that you're not going to be deprived of your "formerly forbidden foods" (sweets & treats, or anything that --on another diet-- you would be told NOT to eat).

No comments:

Have a Book You Want Reviewed?

Do you have suggestions of books you'd like to see reviewed here?

If so, please contact me here.

I cannot make any promises, as I often rely heavily on my local library for the books I read. If they don't have it, I probably can't read and review it. But, I will do my best!

Thank you!