Tuesday, March 18, 2008

REVIEW: "The Secrets of Skinny Chicks" by Karen Bridson

Title: "The Secrets of Skinny Chicks: How to Feel Great in Your Favorite Jeans When It Doesn't Come Naturally"
Author: Karen Bridson
Pages: n/a
Diety?: yes
Promotes IE?: somewhat
My Rating: 3.5***

I recently read a book called "The Secrets of Skinny Chicks: How to Feel Great in Your Favorite Jeans When It Doesn't Come Naturally" by Karen Bridson. I got it out of the library thinking it would be a book about Intuitive Eating -- on the back, it talked of waiting for hunger, and eating just 'til satisfied.

Well, upon reading it, I found that it's not *truly* a non-diet book... The author repeatedly encourages you to count calories. (True Intuitive Eaters know that you don't have to do this! You don't have to count anything!) But, I continued to read, because she *did* talk about hunger/fullness on the back... there had to be something...

And, sure enough, there were many instances where the women profiled talked of only eating when hungry, and stopping just at satisfied. There was also almost a full chapter that talked of "mindful eating" (same thing as Intuitive Eating -- listening to your body's cues). And, I loved the parts where the author talked about loving your body for its uniqueness, and about loving yourself for YOU. She talked quite a bit about overcoming Emotional eating, too.

So, I am going to recommend this book! But, I will do so with a WARNING:

** This is STILL a "diet" book! Do not read it with the intention of a "quick fix"! No diet is going to work for you forever... they just don't.

No comments:

Have a Book You Want Reviewed?

Do you have suggestions of books you'd like to see reviewed here?

If so, please contact me here.

I cannot make any promises, as I often rely heavily on my local library for the books I read. If they don't have it, I probably can't read and review it. But, I will do my best!

Thank you!