Tuesday, March 18, 2008

REVIEW: "You: On a Diet" by Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen

Title: "You: On a Diet"
Author(s): Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Michael Roizen
Pages: n/a
Diety?: yes
Promotes IE?: n/a
My Rating: 3*** (but, see note below)

A while back, Dr. Mehmed Oz, and Dr. Roizen (authors of You, On a Diet) were featured on The Oprah Winfrey Show to promote this book. I watched the program --though I rarely watch TV -- because I wanted to see if there was anything that I, as an Intuitive Eater-in-the-making, could use. :o) And, voila! there was. :o)

** NOTE: This is a brief review only, because I didn't read the whole book. I only skimmed the parts that were of interest to me at the time. **

* There is something in everyone called the Omentum. It's hooked to the bottom of the stomach.... it's function is to pump chemicals through. The omentum causes the hormones that make us feel hungry.

Two Hormones That Regulate Our Eating:

1) Ghrelin --> hormone that tells us we're hungry
2) Leptin --> sends the satiety signal... tells us we've had enough to eat
* Eat/chew your food slowly --> this allows the Leptin signal to be clearly 'heard'

I didn't take any further notes on these, so I will leave you with two links to more information:

Wikipedia: Ghrelin

Wikipedia: Leptin

No comments:

Have a Book You Want Reviewed?

Do you have suggestions of books you'd like to see reviewed here?

If so, please contact me here.

I cannot make any promises, as I often rely heavily on my local library for the books I read. If they don't have it, I probably can't read and review it. But, I will do my best!

Thank you!